Saturday

Anurag Kashyap - Interview on THE RETURN OF HANUMAN

Percept Picture Company's HANUMAN created an all new market for animated films in India and made way for a number of animated films thereafter. Their next film "THE RETURN OF HANUMAN" directed by Anurag Kashyap is all set to hit screens on 28th Dec, 2007.

Anurag Kashyap is coming up with his new directorial venture “The Return of Hanuman”, an animation film. After his dark thriller No Smoking, he surprisingly comes up with a children’s film. With the film being set in modern day India and Hanuman taking the role of a school boy, it's the funny antics of the kid which involves action, comedy and drama - some of the most loved ingredients of a hardcore Bollywood potboiler - that seems to be clicking well with the film's target audience i.e. children.

The theatrical promo has met with an excellent response by the cinemagoers and with the look of things, “The Return of Hanuman”, which releases on 28th December all over, is all set to break the records created by its predecessor Hanuman. So let’s talk more about the movie and about the man behind its direction.....

How was the experience of working on the film?
The Return of Hanuman gave me an insight into how animation movies are made. The script for an animation film vastly differs from a feature script. Here, you have to consider even the smallest of details like the dust blowing, leaves falling, etc while writing for the film. It was a wonderful and enriching experience. Especially since it’s an out-and-out fun movie and is not at all connected to Ramayana.

Is this your first children’s film?
Yes. This film is dedicated to my daughter, who says my films only have policemen, people getting beaten up, etc. No songs, dance or masti. I have written the film for her so that she can enjoy it with her pals.

How was it working with PPC?
Brilliant. PPC fully trusted me from day one on a project that was totally different from my genre of dark and commercial films.

What was you reaction when you was offered by PPC?
I was pondering on what to do when I got a call from Percept who asked me to write the script for The Return of Hanuman which I eventually went onto direct. But all this I did for my daughter.

Your inspiration...
The general mindset of children acted as a reference point. The Hanuman of this film is a child. He goes to school, solves his friends’ problems, steals mangoes and behaves like a kid. Some childhood memories also came in handy.

What is your take on the music of the film?
The music of the film is awesome. It goes with the film very well… I love the music very much.
Do you think HANUMAN RETURNS will prove to be an as successful as HANUMAN.
Hanuman returns will be the biggest blockbuster ever.

Which thing fascinates you most about the industry?
A possibilities and the challenge fascinates me the most.

Don’t you think Hindi cinema now getting versatile?
I love the direction in which Hindi cinema heading.

What are your other projects in the pipeline?
My other forthcoming films are Dev D, Devki and Gulaal.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I see myself right here talking about my films.

No comments: